MN State universities welcome MN State grads with associate’s degrees
The following media release was posted on the Minnesota State website Nov. 16, 2016
Minnesota State Universities Guarantee Admission and Credit Transfer to Minnesota State Associate’s Degree Grads
Students must complete the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
ST. PAUL, Minn., Nov. 16, 2016 — Under a new program announced today by Minnesota State, students who complete the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum and earn a minimum 2.0 GPA* in an Associate of Arts (AA) degree from any Minnesota State college are guaranteed admission to every one of the seven Minnesota State universities with junior year status. This new collaboration ensures that students can seamlessly and reliably transfer from Minnesota State colleges to Minnesota State universities.
“Minnesota State provides an extraordinary education that is the most affordable and accessible option in the state,” said Virginia Arthur, president of Metropolitan State University. “With this guarantee, students can take full advantage of the significant cost savings our colleges and universities offer, graduate with significantly less debt than their peers, and emerge with the skills and knowledge needed to be prepared for the jobs of the future, provide for their families and contribute to their community and to the state’s economy.”
This guarantee saves students money because they can take advantage of the lower tuition rates at Minnesota State colleges for their freshman and sophomore years, then transfer to a Minnesota State university to complete their bachelor’s degree. Tuition and fees at a Minnesota State college are significantly lower – between one-half and one-tenth the cost — of other higher education options within the state.
“This guarantee is something that only Minnesota State can offer,” said Anne Blackhurst, president of Minnesota State University Moorhead. “In addition to our overall quality and affordability, it sets our state colleges and universities apart from other higher education options in Minnesota – both public and private. Only we can make this guarantee because we are a collaborative system focused on serving the needs of students and the state of Minnesota.”
Read the Star Tribune article:
“Guaranteed: Get two-year degree, get into Minnesota State university”
Four-year schools adopt same standards for accepting students.
By Maura Lerner | Star Tribune
Nov. 16, 2016 — 10:08 p.m.
For the first time, the seven public universities in the Minnesota State system will offer guaranteed admission to students who earn a two-year degree at one of the state’s community colleges.
The new guarantee was announced Wednesday by Steven Rosenstone, Minnesota State’s chancellor.
To qualify, students must complete an associate degree and a list of required courses with a grade-point average of 2.0 (although Winona State University will require a 2.4 average), Rosenstone said.
Until now, the four-year universities had no single standard for accepting students from the system’s own two-year colleges. Now, Rosenstone said, “We’re working together as one team.”
Anyone who meets the requirements will be able to transfer to any four-year Minnesota State university, and enter as a junior.
While students who complete the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum and earn an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree from any of the 26 Minnesota State community colleges are guaranteed admission and full credit transfer to any of the seven Minnesota State universities, this collaboration does not guarantee admittance to specific majors. Academic requirements for major degree programs at state universities vary. For this reason, students considering credit transfer should discuss their academic goals with an advisor at the state university they wish to attend.
The 26 colleges of Minnesota State where students can complete the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum and earn an A.A. degree include:
- Alexandria Technical and Community College
- Anoka-Ramsey Community College
- Central Lakes College
- Century College
- Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College
- Hibbing Community College
- Inver Hills Community College
- Itasca Community College
- Lake Superior College
- Mesabi Range College
- Minneapolis Community and Technical College
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College
- Minnesota State College Southeast
- Minnesota West Community and Technical College
- Normandale Community College
- North Hennepin Community College
- Northland Community and Technical College
- Pine Technical and Community College
- Rainy River Community College
- Ridgewater College
- Riverland Community College
- Rochester Community and Technical College
- St. Cloud Technical and Community College
- Saint Paul College
- South Central College
- Vermilion Community College
Important transfer resources
- Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC)
- Transferring from Inver Hills
- Degree Audit Report (DARS)
- Transferology: Explore your transfer options
- Minnesota Transfer (Minnesota State)
- Inver Hills Transfer Credit Policy
- Inver Hills Credit for Prior Learning Policy
The seven universities of Minnesota State that guarantee admittance from the state colleges listed above include:
- Bemidji State University
- Metropolitan State University
- Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Minnesota State University Moorhead
- Southwest Minnesota State University
- St. Cloud State University
- Winona State University *
* Winona State University requires a minimum 2.4 GPA for A.A. degrees to be accepted.
Minnesota State, formerly known as Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, includes 30 community and technical colleges and seven state universities serving approximately 400,000 students. It is the fifth-largest higher education system in the United States.
To learn more about enrolling at Inver Hills, contact:
To learn more about Minnesota State, contact:
Minnesota State Communications and Media Director