Visual Artist David Hamlow • Current show online
High Desert Rituals, an exhibition by David Hamlow, is currently showing online at Gallery 120. Art shows and exhibitions are traditionally hosted at Gallery 120’s brick-and-mortar location in the atrium of the Fine Arts building on the Inver Hills Community College campus in Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota.
For seven weeks in fall 2020, David Hamlow was a resident artist of the Joshua Tree Highlands Artist Residency (JTHAR), based near the Joshua Tree National Park in California. During five of those seven weeks, Hamlow created a daily tableau consisting of three elements:
- A daily sculpture created from objects found in the Pipe’s Canyon dry wash
- A collage made from 2D detritus resulting from day-to-day activities (mail, receipts, packaging, etc.)
- A number-representing the date the three pieces were made—created using natural or human-made found objects culled from the remote desert setting
WHAT: High Desert Rituals
WHO: Visual Artist David Hamlow
WHERE: Gallery 120 (online)
About the artist…
David Hamlow is a visual artist working primarily with recycled materials, often resulting directly from his own consumption. Hamlow has exhibited work regionally, nationally and internationally. Recent exhibitions include:
- Immiscible at the Washington Pavilion in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Mirror Stage at The Minnesota Museum of American Art in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Preservationist at the Lamar Dodd School of Art at the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia
Hamlow has received two PRAC/McKnight mid-career grants as well as six Minnesota State Arts Board individual artist grants, including a 2021 grant to expand COVID-19-related online group projects. He is adjunct faculty in the Art and Design department at Minnesota State University, Mankato. David Hamlow lives and maintains a studio in Good Thunder, Minnesota.
High Desert Rituals at Gallery 120
You can also visit Gallery 120 on social media:
Learn more about Gallery 120 and High Desert Rituals by contacting:
Gallery Curator and Coordinator
Learn more about the A.F.A. in Art at Inver Hills by contacting:
Painting and Drawing Faculty