Emily Bushey is passionate about helping people reach their goals
A 2000 graduate of Red Wing High School in Red Wing, Minnesota, Emily Bushey, 34, is a human services professional with more than 15 years of experience. Emily graduated from Inver Hills Community College in 2014 with her Human Service Worker A.S. degree. She went on to earn a B.S. in Human Development and Family Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Stout.
“When I first entered the Human Services program at Inver Hills, I was an older student at age 26, but I was nervous and lacked confidence,” Emily said. “Tom Reis and the whole department were so warm, welcoming and amazing. I overcame my self-doubt and became more self-aware through the program.”
During her time at Inver, Emily volunteered for the 2012 Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief Trip. “I worked my butt off in 90° heat,” she recalled with a smile. “That trip was a powerful experience. I loved it.”
Three words that describe you as a person:
PASSIONATE. GENUINE. CURIOUS.
Emily enjoys the diversity of career options in the human services field. She currently works as a mental health case manager at the Eagan location of Minnesota Mental Health Clinics. She worked previously as a coordinator at Owakihi, a home and community-based support organization in West St. Paul. Her career goals are centered on working directly with patients as a licensed professional counselor (LPC).
“I overcame a dysfunctional upbringing and I think that helps me in my work,” said Emily, who is working on her M.A. in Counseling and Psychological Services at Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota. After that, she’s looking at earning her Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) “People can sense if you are authentic.”
More about Emily…What is the most interesting thing that’s ever happened to you?
“My coolest professional experience was working with a domestic violence support group at a local jail. I learned a lot.”
What is your greatest accomplishment?
“Being a mom and coming this far with my education.”
What person has influenced you the most in life?
“My grandmother, Sheila. She’s 99. She raised me.”
Emily resides in Hastings, Minnesota, where she’s raising two children, Ella, 15, and Jaylin, 9. She describes herself as an outdoorsy person who enjoys camping and hiking. She also enjoys acrylic painting and restoring antique mini-chairs.
Emily Bushey | 21 Answers
- Favorite season: Summer
- Favorite natural feature: Caribbean Sea
- Favorite sport or physical activity: Running
- Your national bird if you could have one: Hummingbird
- Place you would most like to visit: Spain
- Favorite holiday: Halloween
- Your national mammal if you could have one: Tiger
- Favorite actor or actress: Audrey Hepburn
- Favorite band or performing artist: Trampled by Turtles
- Your personal motto if you had to have one: “Realize your own potential without limits.”
- Coolest thing in the world: Music
- Scariest thing in the world: Hate
- Favorite all-time TV show: Forensic Files
- Favorite all-time movie: Amadeus
- One thing you most want to accomplish in life: Travel and see the world
- Most precious material possession: Family photos—really old ones
- First thing you would buy if you won the $1.5 billion Powerball: Buy a house
- Dream occupation: Anthropologist
- Person you would most like to meet: Dalai Lama or Mozart
- Skill you would most like to learn and master: Play the piano
- Humankind’s greatest challenge: Accepting others for who they are.