Colleges 2020 • 2-Year Schools • #1 in Minnesota
Military Times has ranked Inver Hills Community College #5 in the nation and #1 in Minnesota on Best for Vets: Colleges 2020: 2-Year Schools. Inver Hills has been consistently ranked nationally by Best for Vets: #5 in 2020, #20 in 2019, #21 in 2018, #6 in 2017, #3 in 2016, #6 in 2015, #3 in 2014 and #3 in 2013.
Sightline, the publisher of Military Times, reported: “For 10 years, Military Times has conducted an extensive, editorially independent, objective study evaluating the many factors that help make colleges and universities a good fit for service members, military veterans and their families.”
Sue Flannigan serves as Military & Veteran Services coordinator at Inver Hills. Sue works closely with veterans and military students to make sure they are meeting their academic goals.
“Best for Vets ranking Inver Hills #5 nationally for Two-Year Schools would not have happened without the full support of the campus community,” she said. “On behalf of Military and Veteran Services and the Beyond the Yellow Ribbon Committee, Sally Dahlquist [BTYR Committee chair] and I wish to extend our thanks to you all in assisting our student veteran population and making it one of the best in the country!”
By: George Altman • Published: October 28, 2019 • Military Times: Education and Transition
We invited institutions of higher education across the U.S. to fill out a detailed survey, numbering around 150 questions, about their operations involving current and former service members and their families.
To create the rankings, we evaluated colleges’ survey responses based on what veterans have told us is important to them, as well as on our own editorial judgment. Broadly speaking, institutions were evaluated in five categories: university culture, student support, academic policies, academic outcomes/quality, and cost and financial aid.
While the value of each section was comparable, university culture and student support carried the greatest weight in our evaluation, while academic outcomes/quality, and cost and financial aid carried the least weight. Many factors other than those listed in the chart were considered when developing the rankings.
Below are highlights from the Military Times 2020 findings:
- This year’s Best for Vets schools have developed new and innovative approaches to supporting student veterans.
- Nearly 60 percent of schools responding to our Best for Vets survey have set up automated alert systems to let faculty and staff know when student veterans are struggling in class.
- When they get the alert, schools jump into action with tutoring, mentorship and other help.
- About 1 in 5 schools have created special degree programs for service members or veterans.
- These programs help vets earn degrees more quickly, by giving them credit for their military training and then picking up academically where the training left off.
- Nearly every school included in the Best for Vets: Colleges 2020 rankings is regionally accredited, which is generally the most respected type of accreditation in the academic community and usually makes it easier to transfer academic credit.
More about Military & Veteran Services at Inver Hills…
Since 1982, Inver Hills has worked to promote strong relationships with our veterans, service members and their families. The college provides a comprehensive, veteran-specific array of support services, scholarships and networking and employment opportunities while collaborating with area communities and agencies. We have teamed up with Inver Hills counselors to make sure our military/student veterans and service members adapt to college life and achieve their career goals.
If you are a veteran, servicemember or dependent using your veteran benefits to attend college, Inver Hills acts as your liaison with the Veterans Administration. Our campus is home to a spacious Military & Veterans Lounge and the John H. Thill Veterans Resource Center.
Veterans and military students make up the single largest constituent group on our campus. Inver Hills has been named a Military Friendly School since 2010 and has also been recognized as a top school in the Military Advanced Education (MAE) Guide to Colleges & Universities research study.
For more information about Military & Veteran Services at Inver Hills, contact:
Military & Veteran Services Coordinator
College Center: Room 214