Runs from Feb. 1 to March 30, 2017
Winter is flying by like a blizzard in the Amazon. Luckily, you still have time to get in shape before the spring equinox glides into town on Monday, March 20. Rec Activities at Inver Hills Community College is giving you the chance to springboard your personal fitness program using the Marathon Challenge. Here’s how it works.
Wednesday, Feb. 1, through Thursday, March 30, 2017
WHO CAN TAKE THE CHALLENGE?
All Inver Hills students, staff and faculty
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
You earn miles for running/walking, biking, rowing or weight training. Activities must be done on the Inver Hills campus.
Check in at the Rec Desk in the Activities building and report your mileage when you’re done. You’ll also need to fill out a Rec Center Agreement waiver if you haven’t already. You can pick up a waiver at the Rec Desk.
Rec Activities membership info
- All Inver Hills students have FREE memberships.
- Faculty and staff who are not current members may buy a temporary $10 membership to take part in the Marathon Challenge.
- Annual memberships for staff and faculty cost $50 and are good through Aug. 31, 2017.
- Facilities include:
- Newly remodeled gym
- Fitness Center with elliptical, rowing, treadmill, adaptive motion, recumbent bike and weight-training machines; much of the equipment is Precor and Magnum
- Newly remodeled weight room
- Outdoor Recreation Center
For details, check with Bo Johnson, director of recreational sports, at the Rec Desk window.
Here’s the mileage breakdown…
- 1 mile run/walk on treadmill/elliptical/gym = 1 mile (15 gym laps = 1 mile)
- 10 minutes biking/rowing = 1 mile
- 1 set of 5–20 reps lifting = .1 mile (10 sets = 1 mile)
Here are your goals…
- 26 miles = minor prize*
- 50 miles = nicer prize*
- 100 miles = BIG prize*
* Prizes TBD
Activities building hours
Fitness areas will be closed:
- Monday, Feb. 20, 2017
- Thursday, Feb. 23, 2017
- Friday, Feb. 24, 2017
- Thursday, March 9, 2017
- Friday, March 10, 2017
Fitness areas will have reduced hours during spring break, Monday, March 6, through Saturday, March 11, 2017. You can pick up a schedule at the Rec Desk window in the Activities building.
For more information about the Marathon Challenge as well as Fitness and Recreation at Inver Hills, contact:
Tom “Bo” Johnson
Director of Recreational Sports
Office: Activities Building 118 or Rec Desk
Rec Desk phone: 651-450-3539
Health and Physical Education Faculty
Office: Activities Building 213